Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Bloomin' 'Eck!








Have I ever mentioned how much I hate roses? Our home is surrounded by roses, courtesy of my MIL, whose garden this once was, and I hate them. Tea roses, climbing roses, miniature roses- flailing their thorny limbs at innocent passersby, slyly dropping their prickly foliage into garden beds where they embed themselves in my thumb when I try to weed. And they are such prima donnas! They demand pampering- "water me, fertilise me, spray me, prune me!" and turn their leaves a sulky spotted yellow if ignored.





Well, maybe hate isn't the right word. Roses are scratchy and sharp, but they are also very pretty. I suppose I really quite like them, as long as someone else is doing all the grooming and pampering. They smell lovely and there's nothing quite as impressive as a garden full of roses in bloom. But there's also nothing quite as reproachful as a neglected rose bush, waving deadheads like diseased fingertips every time I pass.





So today I groomed roses. It was actually kind of fun.





And, at the risk of this turning into one of those "today I mowed the lawn" kind of posts, I also started seedling boxes for the veggie garden. I'm a budding Horticultural Goddess!





(Geddit? "budding"?! Oh, never mind...)





Time for the compulsory gratuitous baby photos:

JJ's started "working" the other dogs-




Esme-




The other baby:


Fish impression-


Ready to motor:



The training sheep, for no particular reason:

2 comments:

Tania said...

Love your photos. l think you are so lucky to have your roses. l love them. Oh and if you like you can send Esme down to Tassie. She is beautiful. lm sure Maddy would find the time to train her. ;-)

Country Girl said...

Love the verse. So great!